Quick, easy, cheap and delicious! Give this recipe a try, there is a lot of flavor here and its easy to make. Plus it can be eaten hot, warm, or cold. It reheats very well, and tastes better with time (just like chili). If you are staying somewhere for a while, make a big batch and you’ll have enough food for a couple of meals.
1 Cup of cooked rice
1 Can of Black beans
1 red pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
2 tablespoons oil / butter
1 pot large enough for all the ingredients
1) Warm oil in pot over medium-high heat
2) Add diced red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
3) Turn heat down to medium and add garlic, cook for 1 minute
4) Add rice and beans to the pot and continue to cook on medium until warm, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5) While rice and beans are warming, wash and cut cilantro. I use about a handful of chopped cilantro leaves.
6) Add cilantro, stir well, allow flavors to blend for a couple minutes.
-You can fry an egg and throw on top for extra flavor
-Add hot sauce or cayenne for an added kick
-Take some in a Tupperware bowl with you while you walk around the city, its great cold as well.
-Tastes well served in a tortilla as well
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!