This recipe comes to us care of Wylie Goodman, the Couchsurfing Cook (http://www.couchsurfingcook.
Gazpacho is a great, refreshing recipe for a hot day, and one that requires only six ingredients, many of which can be found in places the world over. The other nice thing about gazpacho is that it can be made without a stove (though does require brief blending or at least some serious mushing with a spoon).
1 1/4 pounds very ripe, plum tomatoes – 630 grams
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons diced cucumber – 28 grams
1/4 cup diced green pepper – 53 grams
4 ounces olive oil – 118 millilitres
2 ounces red wine vinegar – 59 millilitres
Optional: Croutons (fresh or slightly stale bread brushed with olive oil and baked briefly in oven to crisp)
Bowl for Mixing Ingredients
Hand Mixer (optional)
1. Roughly dice tomatoes into small cubes.
2. Place all ingredients except for olive oil and vinegar in a bowl or blender.
3. Blend with a hand mixer or in the blender until smooth.
4. Add olive oil followed by red wine vinegar. Blend again to emulsify. Approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Top with croutons and a drizzle of olive oil.
6. Allow gazpacho to chill for a few hours to enrich flavor.
7. Serve cold or slightly chilled.
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!