We took the classic grilled cheese and turned it on its head. Adding a couple thinly sliced pieces of apple adds a whole new dimension of texture and flavor to the plain ‘ol grilled cheese sandwich.
4 slices sandwich bread
50g cheese (American, cheddar, or gouda we liked the best)
1 apple sliced into thin slices
1 tablespoon butter for grilling
Pan for grilling
1) Butter one side of each piece of bread.
2) Place slices of cheese and apple in between two slices of bread. (butter on outside)
3) Heat pan over medium heat.
4) Grill sandwiches until brown on each side and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
-thinner, toastie style bread is the best. If the bread is too thick or heavy, the cheese won’t melt
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!