Yum! Guacamole, the fast, healthy, cheap, delicious and versatile hostel food. Guacamole can be eaten with tortillas, bread or crackers. Or spread on any sandwich to add taste-bud bursting flavor. Guacamole does not keep very well so you should eat it right away, which never is a problem.
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
2 tablespoons salt
1 Lime for juice (lemon will work as well)
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
1 chile, diced (optional)
1 small tomato, diced (optional)
Bowl for mixing
1) Cut avocado in half length wise and spoon avocado into bowl.
2) Mash avocado and then add diced onions, garlic, and salt.
3) Add optional ingredients: tomoato, chile and cilantro.
4) Add juice from lime. This will help stop the avocado from browning.
5)Mix well and enjoy!
I prefer to use the pebbly skinned Hass avocados. These have a lot more flavor then the large avocados found throughout south america.
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!