Salsa is a easy, cheap, and versatile hostel recipe. We use it on sandwiches, or alone on bread, with crackers, or tortillas. Its an easy way to spice up any sandwich. Or add a couple spoonfuls to an avocado for some quick guacamole. Because salsa is fast, easy and cheap we find ourselves making it frequently and keeping a tupperware container full of it in the hostel refrigerator. Take it backpacking on hiking trips or for a quick snack while you walk around the town.
3 large tomatoes ( 1 kilo)
1 medium red onion
1 medium garlic clove
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup lime juice salt (lemon will work as well)
1 fresh chili (optional)
Salt to taste (we like 2 teaspoons)
Tupperware container for salsa
1) Chop up tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro leaves, and chili
2) Mix all together and refrigerate for 1/2 hour to mix flavors
Will stay good for about 5 days in the refrigerator.
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!