Its a chilly day in Mendoza, Argentina and Leah has a sore throat. So I’ve decided to make a creamy potato soup to warm us up. This soup recipe is a great base, allowing you to add other ingredients if you wish. You can substitute in milk for the cream, if you don’t have cream. And If you have bacon, it would be great to fry up in step 3 with the onions and garlic. Overall this soup is creamy and delicous. Pick up some bread and butter for dipping and this will be a great meal with leftovers for a snack.
Share your experiences! And happy travels.
Makes about 4 servings.
6 medium sized potatoes
1 cup cream
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 chicken bouillon cube
100 g ham, diced (optional)
1/2 cup green onions, diced (optional)
250 g shredded cheese
Pot with cover
vegetable peeler (optional)
Potato masher or large soup for mashing
1) Cube 3 of the potatoes and slice 3 of the potatoes. This will help create some texture to the soup.
2) Dice garlic and onions.
3) Over medium-high heat fry onions and garlic until fragrent.
4) Add potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5) Add boullin cube and enough water to cover potatoes. (about 3 cups)
6) Cover. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
7) Mash potatoes with masher or large spoon.
8) Stir in diced ham, cream, and cheese.
9) Continue cooking for 5 minutes to warm ham and cream.
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!