Tired of french fries as a side? Add a light, crispy coating to green beans! Beer is always available in hostels, and since you only need a little bit for the batter buy a big bottle and drink while you cook. This same batter can be used for most vegetables, fish, and chicken. Enjoy!
1 pound (1/2 kg) green beans
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup beer
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt to taste
1 spoonful of paprika (optional)
Black Pepper (optional)
Small bowl for mixing
Preparing the batter
1. Combine Beer, Flour, salt, and paprika into mixing bowl and stir until smooth. The batter needs to sit for about 30 minutes. The beer needs time to work its magic and break down the glutens. So I always make the batter first, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Preparing the Green Beans
2. Wash green beans and cut off top and tail of the beans.
Preparing the Dish
3) Once the beer batter has sat for at least 30 minutes, Heat oil in frying pan at medium-high temperature.
4) Dip green beans in beer batter, and fry in hot oil.Fry for 2-3 minutes flip, and fry for an additional 2 minutes. Green beans should be crispy and golden. Do not over crowd the frying pan, this will cause the oil temperature to drop and the green beans will be soggy and gross. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
If the hostel has a rack in the oven, wash it, take it out and place it on top of the paper towels. Then put your beer battered green beans on the rack to dry, allowing the oil to drip onto the paper towel. This will help stop the beans for soaking in the excess oil and getting soggy.
Special Recent Posts
- Chicken with Hollandaise Sauce
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Hilary’s Tomato Hotpot
- Lightly Fried Eggplant
- Paella the Ultimate Hostel Dish
- Pancakes! With Fruit…
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Ramen Noodles with Beef and Broccoli
- Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Espanola)
- Tuna Burgers
- Zesty Lemon Pasta
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
- Cucumber and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich
- Mango Pasta Salad
- Mangcado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Roesti – Breakfast Swiss Style
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tuna Salad – with extras
- Food Market
Here you will find easy to prepare recipes for travelers. We have been backpacking on and off for almost five years gathering recipes in hostel kitchens wherever we go. We've included all of our favorite hostel recipes.
We try to use only a couple ingredients and to keep everything healthy. Vegetables can be few and far between when traveling.
If you have a recipe to add, please do!